Fast Facts About Living in Fleming Island, Florida
Population (2020): 30,582
- Jacksonville, FL: 35min
- Tallahassee, FL: 2hr 45min
- Orlando, FL: 2hr 25min
Nearest major airport:
Median income (2020):
- Individual: $43,874
- Household: $101,685
Type of location: Suburban
Why is Fleming Island, Florida, a Nice Place to Live?
Fleming Island, Florida, is an unincorporated community along the St. Johns River. It’s a suburb of Jacksonville that gives residents a small-town atmosphere and a somewhat rural feel. Living in Fleming Island is perfect for those wanting to live close to outdoor natural areas without sacrificing easy access to the Jacksonville metro area.
It has many parks, restaurants, and opportunities to enjoy the water on the St. Johns river or the Atlantic Ocean, which is an hour’s drive away.
The area is excellent for families and has a highly-rated public school district. The Clay County School District has 41 schools serving 38,268 students in grades Pre-K through high school, with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1.
What is Fleming Island Known For?
Living in Fleming Island offers many spots for outdoor recreation. This includes Black Creek Park and Trail, Doctors Lake, and Riverfront Park are perfect for hiking, biking, and fishing. Doctors Lake has a marina that makes it great for boating, kayaking, and waterskiing.
In addition, Camp Chowenwaw Park is a campground that provides an escape for those wanting to spend a bit more time in nature. It has beautiful cabins, campsites, tree houses, and spots for fishing.
Other fun things to do can be found in nearby Orange Park and Jacksonville, which have shopping malls, golf courses, and attractions like the Orange Park Farmer’s and Art Market, The Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife Sanctuary, and the MOSH (Museum Of Science & History).
What Are the Best Restaurants in Fleming Island?
Some of the restaurants in Fleming Island with the highest-rated Google reviews include:
- Whitey’s Fish Camp, for a long-standing, family-owned seafood restaurant that also offers live music, an RV park, fishing gear, and boat rentals
- LongHorn Steakhouse, for a casual steakhouse offering all kinds of steak dishes, as well as chicken, seafood, and more
- Maple Street Biscuit Company, for Southern-inspired breakfast and lunch plates
- Corky Bells Seafood & Steaks, for a casual steak and seafood restaurant
- V Pizza & Tap Garden, for pizzas, calzones, stromboli, wings, and more