Fast Facts About Living in Green Cove Springs, Florida
Population (2020): 8,283
- Jacksonville, FL: 40min
- Tallahassee, FL: 2hr 55min
- Orlando, FL: 2hr 15min
Nearest major airport:
Median income (2020):
- Individual: $26,936
- Household: $54,329
Type of location: Suburban / Rural
Why is Green Cove Springs, Florida, a Nice Place to Live?
Green Cove Springs, Florida, is a small city on the St. Johns River that serves as the Clay County seat. It’s a suburb of Jacksonville and has a mix of rural and suburban characteristics.
Living in Green Cove Springs is perfect for retirees who love the outdoors and families looking for a relaxed environment to raise their kids. The town is also a great choice for commuters who don’t mind a slightly longer trip to JAX in exchange for a small-town atmosphere.
Overall, Green Cove Springs is family-friendly and has an excellent public school district. The Clay County School District is rated above average. It has 41 schools serving 38,268 students in grades Pre-K through high school, and the student-teacher ratio is 15 to 1. The school district also has its own police department.
What is Green Cove Springs Known For?
Living Green Cove Springs has many parks and museums for residents to enjoy. This includes Spring Park, Riverfront Park, Alpine Groves Park, and Black Creek, which offer spots for hiking, biking, fishing, and other outdoor activities.
The Bayard Conservation Area and Camp Chowenwaw Park provide campgrounds, cabins, hiking trails, and riverside access for a more immersive outdoor experience.
Local museums in the area include the Military Museum of North Florida, the North Florida Railway Museum, and The Clay County Historical and Railroad Museum.
In addition, residents can easily visit Jacksonville and all its attractions, like the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens, the Kingsley Plantation, and the Timucuan Ecological and Historical Preserve.
What Are the Best Restaurants in Green Cove Springs?
Some of the restaurants in Green Cove Springs with the highest-rated Google reviews include:
- La Casita Mexican Restaurant, for a casual Mexican restaurant, as well as a mini market selling authentic Mexican and Hispanic products
- Ronnie’s Wings, for a casual restaurant offering a selection of wings and burgers
- Spring Park Coffee, for a highly-rated cafe with freshly-roasted coffee sourced from a local coffee brewing company.
- Larry’s Giant Subs, for a casual eatery with specialty hot and cold sub sandwiches
- Sunrise & Sunset, for a restaurant serving omelets, french toast, sandwiches, and other breakfast favorites