Planning to move to Duval County, Florida, or just moved here recently? You’ve made a great choice! Home to Jacksonville, the state’s most populous city, Duval County is filled with some of the best activities, entertainment, and amenities the Sunshine State has to offer.
This quick guide will give you a preview of the Ultimate Florida Relocation Guide, available for free below. This guide was created by Phil Aitken, one of the best real estate agents in Jacksonville, Florida, to give you firsthand knowledge of the JAX area.
You’ll learn all the main attractions that make Duval County such a great place to live, whether you’re looking to retire, start a family, or just for a great place to live and work.
Fast Facts on Life in Duval County
- Seventh most populous county in Florida
- Population: 975,961
- Median age: 36.4
- Median household income: $58,145
- Averages 220 days of sunshine a year
What Food Is Jacksonville Known For?
Jacksonville has a vibrant nightlife and food scene, with plenty of breweries, bars, and clubs.
Some of the highest-rated restaurants are the Terra Gaucha Brazilian Steakhouse, Restaurant Orsay for French cuisine, and the Bearded Pig for BBQ. Each one has thousands of five-star reviews from happy customers on their Google business pages.
Of course, Jacksonville’s proximity to the ocean makes it a great spot for seafood– check out these options for just a taste of what it has to offer:
- The Fish Company – A little on the higher end, the Fish Co Restaurant and Oyster Bar is the perfect sit-down spot to enjoy the fresh catch of the day alongside a glass of wine with the whole family.
- Beachside Seafood – Beachside is the real deal when it comes to fresh fish. Aside from a fantastic restaurant, they also run their own seafood market, which is open seven days a week and is stocked with the best fresh, frozen, and seasonal offerings.
- Salt Life Food Shack – Just three blocks away from the beach, the Salt Food Shack offers seafood in a variety of formats, from sushi and street tacos to burgers and pastas. They also have plenty of turf options if you’re not into seafood. Sit out in their open-air dining room with a cocktail and enjoy a night out with family and friends!
Our complete guide includes many more restaurant suggestions that range from casual diners and cafes to steakhouses and fine dining– and everything in between!
Does Jacksonville Have Good Shopping and Attractions?
Live music, theaters, museums, malls– you name it, Jacksonville’s got it all! Bring the whole family to catch a Jacksonville Jaguars game at the TIAA Bank Field, or take a walk and browse the Riverside Arts Market on a Saturday.
Also known as the RAM, this outdoor market features selections from local farmers, artisans, artists, and small business owners. It also hosts events like beer tastings, local musicians, and even yoga classes!
The Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens or the Museum of Science and History are also great ways to spend your weekend. They make fun, educational excursions for everyone!
What Beaches Are in the Jacksonville Area?
There are several beaches around Duval County, and each one offers visitors something different. For example, Jacksonville Beach has great bars, clubs, and nightlife– perfect for a date night or night out with friends.
Atlantic Beach, on the other hand, is more recreational. The surrounding area is residential, so it makes a great place to take the whole family to go swimming and relax in Florida’s famous sunshine!
Water not your thing? No worries, state parks like Fort Clinch and Little Talbot Island offer hiking and biking trails in some of Florida’s most beautiful natural areas.
Our complete Ultimate Florida Relocation Guide will give you endless ideas to play and explore in the JAX area!
What Is the Job Market Like in Jacksonville, Florida?
If you’ve moved to Duval County, Florida, for a new job, you’re part of the area’s explosive job growth. As a whole, Duval County’s economy is going strong, with future job growth expected to be 44.4% higher than the national average.
And looking at Jacksonville in particular, the job market has increased by 14% over the last decade. This is primarily driven by growth in sectors like finance, transportation, and logistics.
Some of the top employers in Jacksonville include:
- Deutsche Bank – the finance sector is booming in Jacksonville. There are many banks and financial institutions, both well-known like Deutsche and more local ones, that offer Floridians great jobs.
- Naval Air Station – Jacksonville has a strong military presence, and there are several naval bases. The Naval Air Station in Jacksonville is the third largest naval installation in the U.S. and provides thousands of jobs for Floridians.
- Jacksonville Port – the city’s location on the water also makes it an ideal place for shipping and distributing cargo. Jacksonville’s port processes 18 million short tons of cargo every year, much of it in the automobile industry.
What Schools Are in the Jacksonville Area?
Wondering what universities are in the area? Or looking for the best schools in the Jacksonville area for your children? Duval County, Florida, has a number of great schools waiting to give them the high-quality education they deserve.
Top universities include the University of North Florida, which is nationally ranked, and Jacksonville University. Both schools are located minutes away from the beach.
For grade schools, parents have 196 different options to choose from, including private, charter, and alternative schools.
And if you’re a military family, every school in the country provides a military life counselor to give kids and their families the one-on-one support they need.
Ready to Move to Jacksonville, Florida? The Phil Aitken Home Team Has Your Back
Duval County, Florida, has much more to offer as your new home! For the full breakdown of life in Duval County, just fill out the form to receive our entire Jacksonville Florida Relocation Guide for FREE.
And when you’re ready to make the move, the Your Home Sold Guaranteed Realty - Phil Aitken Home Team is ready to help you make the transition.
There are many reasons to work with Phil and his team of professional real estate agents. Phil Aitken is consistently ranked as one of the best realtors in Jacksonville, Florida. He sells more homes than other agents, at a faster rate, and for more money.
With his excellent track record and Buyer’s Cancellation Guarantee, Phil makes sure your move to the First Coast Area is done on YOUR terms.
Our 100+ page guide goes in-depth into all five counties that make up the Jacksonville Metropolitan area and gives you the information that only the locals know.
You’ll learn details on the cost of living, healthcare, climate, other attractions in the area, and so much more.
And when you’re ready to take the next step, the Phil Aitken Home Team will be here to serve you!